Monday, July 8, 2013

Lauren Jones Cooks | Sip

Lauren Jones Cooks | Sip

Lauren Jones Cooks is one of my newest projects - and one that I am so passionate about that I cannot wait to share some of it (early) with you!

Sip is a sub category of Lauren Jones Cooks and is all about sipping on the most exciting, did I mention low-cal, drinks imaginable.

Having just returned from Cap Juluca in Anguilla (right next to St. Martin for those wondering where this lovely location is), my sweetheart and I fell head over heels for the delicious hurricanes we were presented with upon our arrival. Delicious to say the least! We ordered them continuously, regretting it when it came to our waistlines, yet enjoying them so much so that we started making them upon our return home. 

This past July 4th, we celebrated with close friends. Of course, hurricanes we at the top of the drink list. We made them according to what I would call one of the more traditional recipes. It's delicious! Here it is:

1 1/2 cups light rum
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup grendadine
a pinch of nutmeg
orange or pineapple slice to garnish

Now... as much as I like the taste of this adult beverage, I prefer my drinks on the lighter side, calorically speaking. Thus, I created my own version - even a "virgin" alternative - and I love these renditions even more than the original. See below:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup light rum (optional!)
1 cup water
Crystal Light Fruit Punch Sugar Free Drink Mix
1 cup Diet Ginger ale
a pinch of nutmeg
orange or pineapple slice to garnish

These are ballpark measurements, as I "eye" it and don't really measure the portions because I like my low-cal hurricane to be really tart. I add a lot of Crystal Light Fruit Punch mix and often skip the rum altogether. Pour your low-cal hurricane over ice and it's refreshing, not to mention delicious, on a warm summer day!

I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as we do!

Cheers to a delicious low-cal summer!

- Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Thank you so much for stopping by! Xo, Lauren

Thank you so much for stopping by! Xo, Lauren
Lauren Lorraine Jones, Co-Founder & CCO of Lauren Lorraine Shoes